When it comes to plumbing systems, your drains and garbage disposals have an essential role to play. The drains see continuous usage in most homes and can wear and tear over time. Most people neglect to get their drainage systems cleaned with regularity which ultimately causes blockages in them.
At SPS Plumbers Sutherland Shire we recommend that clients get preventive plumbing maintenance done regularly on the property. We offer cost-effective plumbing maintenance plans which help you keep various fixtures and fittings on your property in good shape at all times. While we do provide outstanding services, we also encourage our clients to follow specific preventive measures regularly.
When it comes to drainage systems, prevention is always better than cure. Just as it is vital to make sure that all of your plumbing systems are in good condition, it is also crucial to be wary of what we are disposing into the drains without any thought.
A simple thing like disposing of garbage correctly can save you a significant amount of money on garbage disposal repairs and replacements. As mentioned earlier, if there is a blockage in your drain, do not try any fixes yourself. Hire the services of a licensed and professional plumber like the ones at our company.
Never Strain Your Garbage Disposal
Some of the things that you should never discard in your garbage disposals include:
- Many people dump coffee grounds in the garbage disposal every single day. They feel this powder will easily get washed away with the water. However, the fact is that it can accumulate in bends in the drainage pipe and turn into a sludge-like substance. Ultimately, this can cause blockages in the drain pipe.
- Eggshells seem to be very fragile; however, that too can cause blockages in your drains. Sometimes the crushed eggshells get stuck in other items that you have discarded into the sewers and will create an even more significant build-up. It is far better to dispose of eggshells in the trash or use it as compost.
- We all used cooking oil in our meals. However, you should never pour the leftover bacon grease or oil into the drain. These can thicken inside the drainage pipes and clog your drainage system. Aside from this, the fat will also line the pipes and result in deterioration of the installations.
- Pasta is soft and may seem harmless when it comes to discarding it in the drainage. However, when you throw leftover pasta into the garbage disposal, it will flow with the water into the drainpipe but may settle somewhere. It is far better to toss the pasta into the trash can as it tends to expand and block the drainage pipes.
- When you discard potato peels into drains, they convert into a very sticky material and harden causing blockages. This is one more thing you should keep away from your garbage disposal.
Keeping the few preventive measures in mind is an excellent way to maintain the condition of the garbage disposal in your kitchen. For any more information, please call SPS Plumbers Sutherland Shire at (02) 9158 3513 or drop us a line via this Online Form, and we will revert shortly.